Sunday 16 June 2013

Module Six - Adult Learning Theories - Principles and Practices


I have explored adult learning theories in previous papers for the GCTLT, so I thought I would look at  Vygotsky and his constructivism approach as this view fits well with what I do and what I believe.
My understanding of this is that the learner comes with their own thoughts, ideas, understanding and knowledge, with their own unique and diverse background, up-bringing and culture.  If all this can influence the impact on their learning, then it is vitally important that we get to know our learners as quickly as possible.
The quality of the learning experience and how well they are constructed relies heavily on how well we know the learner, so that they in turn can assess and compare this with previous life experiences. (Knowing what to do). (Literacy and numeracy, 2010)
I do try to build in a reflection process into my teaching style, this takes on a variety of forms e.g. individual questionnaires, group feedback, self and peer reflection.  These help me make informed decisions for improvement.

Vygotsky's (1978) social development theory 'promotes learning contexts in which students play an active role in learning. Roles of the teacher and student are therefore shifted, as a teacher should collaborate with his or her students in order to help facilitate meaning construction in students. Learning therefore becomes a reciprocal experience for the students and teacher.' (Haufather, 1996).
That concept of Ako comes through very strongly with this constructivism theory.


References;

Retrieved June 17 from http://www.learning-theories.com/vygotskys-social-learning-theory.html

Hausfather, Samuel J., (1996) Vygotsky and Schooling: Creating a Social Contest for learning.
Action in Teacher Education.(18) 1-10.
Retrieved June 15 from https://www.literacyandnumeracyforadults.com/resources/356269







1 comment:

  1. Hi mum great peace I like it.

    Marcel

    ReplyDelete